Joe's Game Plan has been set up to keep everyone informed on Joe's battle with cancer. We want to thank everyone for their continued thoughts and prayers. Check back often for updates and feel free to leave comments of love and support.

If you would like to follow Joe's blog by email submit your email address below.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

We are nearing the end…

First of all, I want to thank Ron for writing the hardest blog to date.  It was a blessing to have him do that for us.  We just couldn’t function after hearing the news and spent several days coming to grips with it and begin our grieving process.  Hospice met us at home the day we returned from San Diego.  The doctor, nurse and counselor all came.  As most of you know, they are just wonderful and are staying by our side as we need help. 
Right after we arrived home, we had lots of family at home.  Joe made the comment that he was sorry he wasn’t able to finish the remodel of our new home (the entertainment center did not get done).  My brother and nephews heard that and said “oh, we will finish it Joe”.  With that, our house was under construction for a week and it was total chaos.  Joe just loved it.  When he would wake up, he just wanted to sit and watch the guys work.  It was a mess, but so worth it. In addition to building the wall and shelves, electrical outlets, lights, stone…, we changed out the doors to glass to move the electronics below.  We found a company to do that for us and when they heard Joe’s story, they would not let us pay.  Thank you Patriot Cabinets (Dave and Cindy) for your generosity.  If anyone needs custom cabinets, doors or furniture, please give them a try at patriotcontr@cox.net. 
 Attached is a picture from last week of Joe standing with my brother and my nephews Mark and Matt in front of our beautiful family room.  Joe comments about it every time he walks by and always wants to sit in that room and just look at it. 

Our 2 weeks has passed since we saw Dr. Lowy.  Joe is declining, but still doing his best to make the situation as tolerable as possible.  He is one tough guy.  He sleeps on and off during the day and really struggles at night.  He still wants to get up and walk by himself and do everything he used to do, but his body just won’t allow it.  He has begun “leaving us” throughout the day and night, and then he comes back.  He says things from his past, he says things that make no sense and then he says things from the heart.  He still throws in a laugh once in awhile too. Those are the moments we cherish.  His body has started rejecting his TPN (nutrition) and some of his organs are starting to shut down. His body is changing much quicker now, which indicates the end is coming soon.  This is honestly, the most difficult thing we have endured since he was diagnosed back in December of 2011.
The girls and I are still administering his medications, taking care of hygiene and everything possible to make Joe comfortable. We continue to read cards, emails and messages to him everyday.  Hospice has said they will support or take over the care whenever we are ready.  We just aren’t ready yet.  They come over almost everyday and do everything possible to help us, but we just feel Joe still knows what is going on, he still recognizes us and we are the ones he wants right now.  We are nearing the time when we physically can’t do everything though.  Joe has tried getting out of bed and has fallen a few times.  Luckily, he was not hurt, but it is difficult to lift him and get him settled.  He can walk short steps with assistance, he takes showers with a shower chair and he still drinks Mountain Dew, Sunny D and water.  He doesn’t always remember what is going on and frequently forgets he has cancer. He did remember this morning and wanted to talk about it.  It was so hard, but I asked him if he was scared and he said “No, not at all”.  His faith is carrying him through.
We cannot thank all of you enough for carrying us through this journey.  Joe had wanted to write the blog and thank you guys himself, but unfortunately we didn’t get to it in time.  He is no longer able to write or read on his own, but he did tell me to make sure I thank you guys.  He said his cards and all the support were the best thing that has ever happened to him. He truly meant it when he said at the Daddy-Daughter Dance “I am the luckiest man on the face of this earth”.
We love you and thank you all so much. 
The Kahler’s

9 comments:

  1. my heart just breaks when i read these. i truly with the best and if you guys need anything let me know. continue to stay strong everyone. lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  2. May god look out over your family at this time and please tell Joe the next time I'm at Teakwoods I will toast to his honor. Tony Molina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speechless.
    Joe is such a beautiful soul. I remember him just that way - a wonderful man.
    I know it's been a very long time since I've seen any of you - but you all left a lasting impression on me. I never really knew a "whole" family growing up, until I knew yours. I never knew what a dad looked like until Joe. I'll be forever grateful for that.
    You all have been in my heart ever since - and I thank you so much for that.
    Oddly I'm feeling some peace by how strong Joe is, and by your strength. I hope that doesn't sound selfish - My heart is just broken for you, and for anyone who knows you all and Joe - and even for the people who never got to know you and will never get to meet him.
    I'm not really sure what exactly I'm trying to portray - except that I'm so sorry this is happening.
    Lots and lots and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe I am so saddened to hear about your health situation. To Julie and Norm and the family my heart aches. Joe your strong faith in Our Lord is incredible and an example to all of us. God bless you and your family. With love Dan Parra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The entertainment center looks amazing! I am so happy they built this for you guys. Please let us know if there is anything at all we can do for you guys. I think and pray for you all throughout the entire day. Uncle Joe you are so loved, so strong and such an amazing person that I will always look up to. You truly are an inspiration to all of us and we will love and cherish our memories with you always. Xoxox ♡♥♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're all in my thoughts and prayers every single day. I have so many happy memories with your family and you guys mean the world to me. My heart breaks for you all, but I know with all my heart Joe will be going to a wonderful place where he'll have a perfect body again. I love you guys so much and appreciate all you've done for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "To Live in Hearts We Leave Behind is Not to Die" - Campbell

    God Bless you in these final stages of what is a small blip of the wonderous world Joe gets to enter before us. See you again soon Joe and thank you for your inspiration to us all.

    Love,

    Madeleine Kraman

    ReplyDelete
  8. It makes me so sad to read this. But I know Joe and all of you have amazing strength and faith that will carry you through. It makes me know that I need to be stronger, even on the bad days. I think about you guys all the time. You have been so incredibly wonderful to us. I wish you peace.

    Erin Figueroa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Kahlers,

    God bless you all on this journey with Joe. Thank you Joe for your courageous battle so that we might have been on some other journey right now and you could be with us longer. Thank you for your joy. As many others have said you are an inspiration and you leave the world better for having known you. Thank you.

    We are so lucky. Joe has given us time for a nice long goodbye. Very very hard moments and many many special ones. May you have strength in the hard moments. Follow your hearts. There is no more to do, just to be.

    Peace to you Joe and love to all of us who will miss you so deeply




    Love,

    Shirley V.

    ReplyDelete